Rites of Passage
Wedding services are a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the love of two individuals who have chosen to come together in marriage. Because of our strong respect for each person’s beliefs and values, each UU Berks wedding is custom-crafted collaboratively by the couple and Rev. Dr. Sandra Fees to reflect the couple’s personalities and relationship.
Child Dedication Ceremonies
Many Unitarian Universalist congregations have child dedication ceremonies for infants and children of church members. These ceremonies are held during Sunday morning worship services as a way for the community to pledge its care of each child. Rev. Dr. Sandra Fees will meet with the family to discuss the details of the ceremony.
Memorial and Celebration of Life Services
Services to honor loved ones who have passed on are very personal occasions. At UU Berks, these services are developed collaboratively by the family of the deceased and Rev. Dr. Sandra Fees to specially honor the memory of that individual. The service might include:
- A eulogy
- Poems and other readings
- Prayer or meditation
- A time to remember the deceased with stories and memories
- Hymn singing or other music
- A time for personal reflection
Coming of Age Ceremonies
Unitarian Universalist congregations may hold a special Coming of Age ceremony after their youth complete a year-long period of learning and exploration. The most common ages for Coming of Age programs are 13-15. These ceremonies can include the following elements:
- Youth reading statements of their personal values and beliefs
- A time for reflections from parents, youth advisors, mentors, ministers, or religious educators
- The presentation of small gifts to the youth, acknowledging their passage from childhood to middle adolescence.