Although the plight of the refugees from Ukraine is top-of-mind for most of us, there are chronic refugee disasters ongoing in many places. Among the worst situations currently are faced by Syrians; many, many Africans; and – closer to home– Central Americans who have traveled across many countries only to be stopped at our border with Mexico.
There are many organizations which are involved in helping refugees, and several to consider are:
- Unitarian Universalist Service Committee Emergency Relief Fund for Ukraine Response;
- UNHCR — UN Refugee Agency
- UNICEF — addressing the urgent needs of children travelling unaccompanied in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Central America, and Mexico;
- Doctors Without Borders — usually known by the French initials MSF;
- International Rescue Committee.
We urge that anyone who does not have an organization that they usually support, check out the report cards found on Charity Navigator, GuideStar, and similar sites. The world-wide financial and personnel resource situation is fluid, so it’s always good to do some research before contributing. Foremost, consider supporting the UUSC. As UU’s, we want to be certain that our principles guide our giving.