[Reading, PA] — Saturday, October 8,2022, the WCR Center for the Arts is excited to host an exclusive
screening event of the New York Times Op-Docs documentary ‘Takeover’. Director Emma Francis-
Snyder, Producer Tony Gerber, Executive Producers Luis A. Miranda and Lynn Nottage.
Takeover explores the twelve historic hours on July 14, 1970, in which fifty members of the Young Lords
Party stormed the dilapidated Lincoln Hospital in the South Bronx, drove out their administrative staff,
and barricaded entrances and windows, and made their cries for decent healthcare known to the world.
They raised the Puerto Rican flag atop the building and a banner reading “The People’s Hospital” – a nom
de guerre still used today. Through archival footage, seamless reenactments, and modern-day
interviews, we follow the Young Lords’ resistance against institutions curated by wealth and white
supremacy, and their fight for the most basic of human rights: the right to accessible, quality healthcare.
Takeover made its world premiere at the 2021 Tribeca Film Festival and has since screened at festivals
across the country, including:
● AFI Fest
● Montclair Film Festival
● International Puerto Rican Heritage Film Festival (awarded Best Short Documentary)
● Montana International Film Festival (awarded Special Jury Award)
● Newburyport Documentary Film Festival (awarded Best Short)
● New Faces New Voices Festival (awarded Best Documentary)
● San Francisco Latino Film Festival
● El Festival de Cine y Derechos Humanos de Vieques